Being charged with driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is extremely serious and could carry potential criminal penalties as well as license suspension and numerous other consequences. For this reason, many people are afraid of being arrested and convicted of a dreaded DUI charge. Fortunately there’s an easy way to avoid this: simply don’t give the police any reason to arrest you!
In order for police to arrest you and have you take a blood or breath test to determine intoxication while driving, they must first establish what is known as “probable cause” for making your arrest. “Probable cause” is the term for police having an educated and reasonable belief that a crime may be committed, in this instance the crime of driving while under the influence. This principle is what protects people from being arrested by law enforcement and subjected to any of these tests without reason.
If police cannot establish probable cause, then they cannot arrest you for the crime. Police cannot simply pull you over and subject you to intoxication tests without having a reason to do so. Instead, police will often look for signs of erratic behavior behind the wheel, such as swerving or driving in your lane or speeding. However, they can also use something like a tail light being out as a reason to pull you over, at which point they may inquire as to whether or not you’ve been drinking.
Avoiding a DUI Arrest
Want to avoid the possibility of being pulled over while driving drunk? There is one guaranteed way to do this: don’t drive if you’ve been drinking. It’s that simple. If you plan on going somewhere and drinking, make sure you plan ahead and secure a ride home or have a way of getting a ride home should you need it. Here are seven ways you can get to or from a location without drinking and driving:
- Walk: This is a great way to burn off calories that you consume while drinking too!
- Travel with a Designated Driver: Get a ride with a member of your group who isn’t consuming alcohol.
- Take Public Transportation: Ride the bus or the train to where you need to go!
- Bring Cab Fare: Bring extra money for a cab ride home and keep it separate from your drinking cash. Spend it only on your ride home!
- Call a Friend or Family Member: If you find yourself in a desperate situation, don’t be afraid to call a friend or family member to come pick you up.
- Call an Uber or Lyft: These are often readily available around the time when bars close due to known high demand. You might pay a little more but the cost pales in comparison to the costs of a DUI charge.
- Get a Hotel Room: If you plan on traveling a longer distance away and know you will be drinking, it’s best just to stay the night close to where you’re at rather than attempt to drive all the way home.
If you do find yourself facing DUI charges after an arrest, don’t hesitate to contact a skilled Miami DUI lawyer from Beckham Solis, Attorneys at Law. We have helped thousands of clients with their DUI charges in our more than 50 years of combined legal practice experience, and have earned a reputation of success and excellence. We are dedicated servants to those in our public community, and we only handle cases in Miami-Dade County, which gives us a unique and local edge we can use to your advantage. We recognize the importance of acting quickly, and we’re available 24/7 to help you if you find yourself arrested and facing charges.
If you are arrested for DUI, act now! Call Beckham Solis, Attorneys at Law today at 305.290.1884 to arrange a case evaluation.